I know Halloween is on Sunday, but my little mind is already focused on that impending gift giving holiday.


This year, I'm making a pledge to shop handmade (and vintage) for all my holiday gifts. 


The time is ripe for re-prioritization. 


I am pledging to support independent artists instead of big box shops.

 I am pledging to give quality over quantity.

I am pledging to shop thoughtfully, even if it's easier to shop conveniently. 



And I'm starting now. 

By planning ahead, I know I can find something for everyone in my life, even for all those finicky dudes I know.



{ will you join me? }



pssst! - I'm going to make a nifty button for this. check back next week to pick it up if you'd like to take the pledge, too.


18 notes

  1. Diana on October 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM

    You're so on it! (I'm still working on my answers to your blog tag little post a few days ago).

    I love buying handmade and vintage! Did I ever even tell you about my new website that you can sell for free on? (http://efreeme.com).

    (We're working on making it look prettier too)

     
  2. Anonymous on October 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM

    That's a great idea :)

     
  3. k on October 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM

    I'm going to try to! The majority at least! I have to buy some switzerland stuff though, haha

     
  4. Diana Mieczan on October 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM

    I am also planning to do that and I am planning to start shopping for the gifts sooner so I can get everything in time...Love your picks,sweetie
    Kisses

     
  5. this free bird on October 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM

    YES!!

    (and kelli - yes!!! re: gary, too. one of my bff's from corvallis now montana was down here a couple weeks ago and totally think he is the definition of sloth!! i think half her frustration is him sitting around doing nothing. does he EVER sit up??)

    xoxo,
    c

     
  6. J on October 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

    Found your blog by accident. By the way, I am looking to expand my world wide business. If you are interested in earning significant income along with what you are doing, email me for info at greenmonstertruck@yahoo.com

     
  7. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on October 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

    haha it's a great guide but not really for my man. of course he's kinda atypical when it comes to manliness. But I do like the picks!

    and i also take the handmade pledge. I actually i wish i would've started earlier in the year. but, you know, i've been busy ;)

     
  8. Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird on October 29, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    Lovely finds and a great idea!

     
  9. Leia on October 29, 2010 at 9:20 AM

    I don't normally celebrate Christmas but I love this idea of yours to support independent artists. Well done, you!

    Leia

     
  10. Janet Mazorie on October 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM

    Love the treasury, that old whiskey shave soap would be perfect for my guy! Most people I know expect jewelry from me or some typical NYC souvenir...so holidays really aren't that hard. I think I am the one everyone dreads shopping for!

     
  11. T@PoppyPlacePdx on October 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM

    That is so awesome :)

    I am going to try but most of my gifts will be money this year :)

    ANd I have to buy some new camera equipment (is that allowed, it is for creating :)

    Have a lovely weekend, T.

     
  12. My Life Under the Bus on October 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM

    I'll join you .... and that Mr. Darcy shirt is pretty HOT !!!

     
  13. Kristin Aquariann on October 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM

    Lovely pledge and fun treasury! This year I've already succumbed to some super awesome mass-produced gifts at discount prices, but am always on the lookout for handmade treasures.

     
  14. Holly Knitlightly on October 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM

    I will SO join you!

     
  15. Lisa Lisa Lisa on October 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM

    This sounds like a great pledge. My friend got all of her bridesmaids gifts off of etsy. They were all so personal and perfect for all of us =)

     
  16. ana on November 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM

    that 'i am mr darcy' shirt makes me giggle.

    & why yes, i will join you in your crusade. :)

     
  17. Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird on November 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM

    I love the I Am Mr. Darcy shirt. Awesome. Great choices!

     
  18. Sally Honeycutt on November 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM

    Love it!! I'm definitely trying to do handmade and vintage as much as possible! Love all your picks, too! :)