Over the course of the last week, I've been contemplating attempting a "live" blog posting, as we prepare our Thanksgiving feast.  Since most of the bigger plans we undertake end up as a series of boggled misadventures, I thought, if nothing else it would be good for a few "lol"s for you all.


Slapsgiving 2009. omg look at all those freakin' white walls!


This is probably a horrible idea, and end up being terribly unfunny, and I'll have to delete it and hide in shame from the 3 of you who might be reading blogs today.  But that's just the risk I'm willing to take.


Allow me to update you on the day thus far:

4:39 am - I am awake.   I don't know why.  Kittens are meowing outside our door.  Must. Ignore. Supreme cuteness.

7:39 am - Unable to sleep, finished reading a novel, and finally arose.  Informed by hubbers that the kittens knocked over a 3 foot tall shelving unit during the night.  How was it THAT wasn't what woke me?

8:03 am - Have realized the ingredients forgotten for today's meal are preventing any action on the cooking front, have declared emergency trip to grocery store.  Inhaling coffee to make the trip bearable, and made the decision to execute said "live blog post." (at least now you know how ended up here.)

9:14 am - Safely returned from grocery store, despite facing this:
 (look, here's a photo, Stef!)



9:15 am - Realized forgot whipped cream. crap.

9:17 am - Gorge on sugary breakfast.  Now hyper, and boiling eggs.

9:53 am - Spilt some, but pies are in the oven.  Punkin pie filling smells pretty good, even when it's burning.

First attempted punkin pies ever.


10:01 am - Choppy chop veggies.  It's almost time to stuff you!



10:04 am - Pull turkey out of freezer. Open 'er up to find guts are frozen and immovalbe inside.  Hubbers is not happy.



10:53 am - Finally put turkey to rest in a bed of butter, butter and more butter.



10:55 am - My pies are cracked. Shit.  Panda says this is a sign of a bad pie. dammit.




11:00 am - Put giant yams (sweet potatoes? whatever.) in to roast for a billion minutes.  Contemplating a nap, but those eggs aren't going to devil themselves (are they? seriously, it'd be really great if they could).


11:01 am - Anyone else feel like Al Roker is really just phoning it in today?  "If you want to know what your weather is like, well go on the Internet or cable."  Gee.  Thanks, dude.

11:23 am - Realizing I don't have cream for twice bake yams (sweet potatoes. whatever.).  Guess the boys are getting the low fat version this year.

12:00 pm ish - Pulled out yams (sweet potatoes. whatever.). I love that oozey gooey thing they do.



12:01 pm - Starting to look distinctly more turkey-ish. 




12:44 pm - Time to watch Mythbusters and smash up some yam-a-roos.  Also, more coffee.  Lots more coffee.  And sugar (altho, let's not discuss how many cinamon rolls i've consumed today. k? thnxbai.)  This no sleep thing is starting to get to me...

12:53 pm - WHY does the therm-o-meter say this turkey is done 2 hours early?! (Emily! totally died when i read your comment b/c it's the SAME DEAL!)  It should be a 4 hour roast, not 2.  I know my Nesco stand-alone roaster is the shizz, but SRSLY.  Whatever.  I'm leaving it in there.  Pout pout pout.




1:50 pm - Yams (sweet potatoes. whatever.) peeled, smooshed, stuffed back in their shells, ready to baked all over again.  Now, time for a pickled nosh.



2:00 pm -  Trying to fight it.  So tired.  Brother-in-law coming over 2 hours early.  Whatever.  As long as he brings the whipped cream I forgot.

2:27 pm - omg BIL is here, and it's madden football time, apparently.  You should probably just kill me now.

4:03 pm - ok I've failed at keeping you up to date these last 2 ish hours.  I'll be back after finally eating, to recap.  I'll leave you with this little gem for now: BIL (picks up thigh bone, pokes brother repeatedly): "LOOK! I'm boning my brother."   Yep.





{ stay tuned for updates, if you dare. mwa hahahahahaaa! }


13 notes

  1. stefanie on November 25, 2010 at 8:21 AM

    More pictures!!!! :)

     
  2. ana on November 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

    gah. i love this idea! :D have a happy day of stuffing & sucks you had to go out in all that snow. looking forward to the rest of your updates.

     
  3. heather on November 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM

    What a great idea! Does this mean I'm the third person reading your blog?

    You are SOOO productive and it isn't even noon!!!

    Mine looks like this:
    9.40, roll over in bed wanting hug from hubby, who has been awake for hours and who I didn't even hear.
    12.15, finally post blog and think about going shopping for apples to make a crisp for the gringo thanksgiving here.
    2.05, finally cook up the blueberry topping for the cheesecake I baked yesterday.
    3.00, finally decide i don't need to buy more apples from the store. i will use the frozen raspberries and soaked figs that we already have on hand to fill out the crisp. put crisp in oven at unknown time.
    3.30 finally reheat last night's leftovers for lunch and open up bug.

    Can't wait to see the rest of your updates!! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  4. Emily@VitaNostra on November 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM

    Most fun thing ever! I love this :)

    My Thanksgiving (which I've been working on for DAYS), was the best ever until the turkey.

    The temp said it was done two hours before it was supposed to be. First issue. Second, nothing else was ready.

    Fine, we will eat cold turkey. Finish everything else up, go to carve up the turkey and it is RAW.

    So not happy. But the early wine is starting to help the situation! I am almost ready to just skip the turkey at this point.

    Looking forward to more of your updates!! Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  5. Holly Knitlightly on November 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

    Bahahaha I am loving this. HILARIOUS!!!

     
  6. Emily@VitaNostra on November 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM

    Re: Turkey - All I can say (which is completely seconded by the husband), is you MUST keep it in. Whatever you do... do not take it out. Trust your judgment, recipe, instinct, whatever... just not the thermometer!

    PS - After several re-attempts, we finally had success. Nap time here!

     
  7. k on November 26, 2010 at 4:00 AM

    this is hilarious!! and ps my pumpkin pie seemed like it was burning too. AND i got everything ready to bake it and realized i didn't have a freakin pie dish. so had to go to the store twice!! yay for preparedness!! :)

     
  8. heather on November 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

    and then what happened? :) must have been an utterly fabulous thanksgiving feast! hugs!

     
  9. C'est La Vie on November 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM

    LOVE LOVE LOVE
    um also i'm cracking up about slapsgiving
    nice!

     
  10. My Life Under the Bus on November 28, 2010 at 5:40 AM

    OMG I went to the store at 8:30 gaaaaaaaaaaaa and I was there the night before.
    Yes the turkey timers are some sort of Al Quaida threat to give us all salmonella I rip them out and use my own.
    I didn't realize until yesterday that I never put out the cranberry sauce - and no on asked!
    Now I have 4 cans of cranberry sauce......Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

     
  11. Anonymous on November 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM

    Haha, this made me laugh.

    We stayed at my parent's house for the long weekend. The best parts:

    As we're pulling up to the house (after a five hour drive that usually only takes 3 hours. Ugh)...
    Husband: Where are we sleeping while we're at your parents' house?
    Me: On our air mattress on the floor in the girls' room.
    Husband: Oh, you brought our air mattress? I didn't know that.
    ---Silence---
    Me: Um...you didn't see it probably because I didn't grab it. It's still at home. Crap!

    Story 2 happened about 3.5 seconds after getting back from the grocery store.
    Dad: Hey Leyla, where's the soda?
    Me: Why are you asking me? It's your house.
    Dad: You volunteered to bring soda.
    ---Silence---
    Me: Oh yeah. I'm gonna run to the store real quick.

    Lol...it was a good weekend :)

     
  12. yourstrulydear on November 29, 2010 at 5:46 PM

    look at you, you little chef! you can come over anytime you want and cook us some meals. ok thanks :]

     
  13. Molly Page on November 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

    Sounds like you had a crazy fun day. Twice baked sweet potatoes (yams whatever) sound too delicious to just be eaten on thanksgiving. Yummmmmmmm

    AForeignLand.blogspot.com