There are pluses and minuses to red-eye flights. 

 


It's interesting to venture into a city that is just waking up.  The sunlight does beautiful things to the architecture.





In place of the teeming masses that normally engulf a popular tourist destination,
there is only quiet.







Of course as the day wears on, and the crowds begin to gather, the mind that's been at rest a mere 2 hours the night before, things start to go a little pear shaped...






The photography begins to degrade, and thoughts best left un-articulated slip out.



 

Such as...


"Who is Barry, and why is there a statue dedicated to him?" 








or "SECOND national bank?  Well.  Where's the FIRST ONE?"
 (turns out the foreign tourists did not know.)






And then all pretense of paying homage to the city that founded our country is set aside, in favor of documenting impressively detailed grafitti.








American history humor FTW.




 


Oh, pretty tree.








Then later, at the main event, one might forget to change one's lighting settings, so everything appears to be bathed in a warm glow...





 

Just to sum things up, this photo is entitled "omg centerpiece."



I sincerely apologize to any of you who were looking forward to learning more about Philly.
I clearly know nothing.




{ do you fly "red eye" ? }





Psssssssssst! -  are you taking the pledge?  grab my button if you're in!

holiday button 2

( it lives in the sidebar )



15 notes

  1. T@PoppyPlacePdx on November 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

    That was a lovely tour. I have never been to Philly and after just finishing "Closing Time" by Joe Queenan I might never have thought well of it again if you hadn't of shared your adventure :)

    I love the soft glow of the wedding photos I do that all the time on purpose when taking photos.

    Centrepieces, how clever!

    And yes, I made the BIG mistake of thinking flying over night to England would be a good idea with a 3 year old, she'd sleep on the plane wake up happy! So wrong, she screamed like blue murder when we eventually got on the plane 'coz she was soo over tired and all the old people who thought they were going to sleep on the plane literally told us to shut her up. Oh the joys of flying internationally with little kids. I still give my daughter a hard time about it and she is now in her 20's.

    Have a lovely day, T. :)

     
  2. ana on November 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM

    ooo. how i hate red-eyes. if i do fly a red-eye i try to make it only for the way back home...

    great photos though, love those graffiti shots. hah. spoons.

     
  3. Diana Mieczan on November 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM

    I usually take the red-eye on the way home as ana...Love the centerpiece...Its amazing..wow! What a beautiful tour,sweetie
    I so would frame that first photo..

    Kisses

     
  4. The Captain on November 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM

    hahaha red eye was worth it, cause i had fun walking in philly with you and then partying at the wedding. fun in real life!

     
  5. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on November 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM

    lol you are too much, girl. Great shots. and srsly...OMG centerpiece is right!

    I do not redeye. I do not fly. One day I will have surgery on my ear and I can fly again. One body part at a time, though ;)

    i plan to get some legal computer time tonight, at which point I will take your button and your handmade challenge

    huzzah!

     
  6. Diana on November 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM

    omg centrepiece! I most certainly would've knocked one over reaching for the wine.

    I've flown red eye a few times, and to be honest it never really makes much of a difference. I'm usually exhausted after flying anyways.

     
  7. k on November 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

    ohhhh the first waking up picture is soooo pretty and snoozy! And the tree one is cool!! I don't think I've ever done red eye, cool with me though! haha

     
  8. yourstrulydear on November 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

    i like all your pictures, and their red-eye commentary. i feel like i was there. haha. btw, is that a ginkgo tree? i can't really tell but it sort of looks like one. also... holy centerpiece!!!! that thing is crazy/amaaazing!

    red eyes are tough. we've only done it once or twice and both times were a bit of a doozy.

    ps: i forgot to identify the latest movie quote you left in a comment: super troopers!!! haha :]

     
  9. Amanda on November 4, 2010 at 7:03 PM

    LOL love the picture captions [and seriously intense graffiti]. Unlike normal people, plane take offs put me right to sleep and I usually sleep like a baby on the plane. So I am pretty well rested upon landing from any flight :)
    OMG centerpiece indeed- I would be afraid to touch the table!

    p.s high five for loving HIMYM - Awesome!

     
  10. The long acre... on November 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM

    Commadore Barry was from Wexford, Ireland, the very same place the Kennedy's were from. (you probably need to be reminded of this, like you need a hole in the head, BOOM!)

    Barry set up a thing called the Navy for the people in the new courtry.

    The people in the new country were already 'sea pirates', to quote Kurt Vonnegart, so not like they needed a navy, the question would have been, 'How do you get rid of the sea pirates?'

    Hope this helps?

    K

     
  11. Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird on November 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

    Oh my gosh I want to go there SO BAD! Looks like so much fun!

     
  12. My Life Under the Bus on November 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM

    I have to ask ...did you get a cheese steaK ???

     
  13. Sarah Von Bargen on November 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM

    I looove getting into a city just as it's waking up. It feels like such a magical time!

    I just wanted to pop over and thank you for entering the giveaway for my 2011 calendar on Oh, Mishka. We've got a few left if you're still keen! (cough, shameless self-promotion, cough) ;)

     
  14. Janet Mazorie on November 8, 2010 at 8:50 AM

    I love the lighting in the first photo and the shade of green those leaves are...so beautiful!

     
  15. Holly Knitlightly on November 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM

    This was a really lovely post! I love all of your photos. And whoa, that is one GIANT centerpiece!