This weekend we decided to visit a place we had (ashamedly) never been to before: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.  It was a lovely day, and we had a great time (and also realized, strangely, that in our 9 year relationship we'd never once been to a zoo together).

Anyway, here's some of the marvelous mammals (and etc) we saw.


Harbor seals (swimmin' upside down, naturally).








omg!


Baby tigers!!!!





 


 
Big ol' walrus.











Clouded leopards (just hangin' around).








Eagle owl (weighing in at 4.5 lbs!).

'Recycled' boat sunk to the bottom of the fishy tank. (Wish I had that kind of recycling to do.)



 
The wild and elusive hubbers. Seen here in his natural environment.




{ how was your weekend? }



13 notes

  1. Diana Mieczan on August 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM

    Love Zoo:)
    That little tiger is so cute! It looks like fun!

    My weekend was lovely too...We went for a craft and food festival:)

    Kisses,sweetie
    Happy Monday

     
  2. Stacey on August 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM

    That must have been so much fun! Beautiful pics, and the one with your hubbers made me smile. What a big owl that was too! Happy Monday! xo

     
  3. Unknown on August 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM

    i'm anti-zoo unless it's a rehab/rescue zoo - otherwise i feel to bad for the animals - i'm an animal nut - SO should of been a vet .. next lifetime!

    had a great weekend myself - glad urs was wonderful too!

     
  4. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on August 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

    aww I forgot they had the babies now! I went to the game farm this weekend and it was depressing with a capital "D"! It reminded me of the last time I went to woodland park zoo..the poor, sad elephants made me not want to go back. I guess I didn't realize how depressed the animals seemed back when I was a kid! Same with the circus.

    but it certainly makes for some great shots. and i love watching the informational presentations. Plus, you can feed the giraffes at woodland park! for a nominal fee, of course! :p

     
  5. yourstrulydear on August 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM

    hehehe in his natural environment. love it. and i LOVE animals, all your pics are awesome! i've lived in utah for 5 years and still haven't gone to the hogle zoo in salt lake city. i suck. maybe we'll do that before the summer is over..

     
  6. T@PoppyPlacePdx on August 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Very Funny but great pic of the "Hubbers" :)

    I actually miss going to zoos and aquariums now the kids are grown and go with their friends, I haven't been for a long time :(

    Didn't do much over the weekend 'coz I was sick, but feeling a little better now, I so hate wasting the weekend, sitting around feeling sorry for myself, (but did get to watch a few movies :) oh,well, there is next weekend.

    Thanks for sharing your adventure it brightened up my day :) T.

     
  7. paislea on August 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    awe! it looks like you're having so much fun!!!!! i love animals! what a fun weekend!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

     
  8. Andrea (Panda) on August 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM

    awe you guys are so cute. wish i wasnt against zoos sometimes. did you check out the rose garden?

     
  9. Janet Mazorie on August 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM

    When I was little my younger brothers loved the zoo. My mom would take us to a zoo in just about every state we visited. I told her I was done with zoos until I have kids. It's true I haven't been to a zoo in over 10 years. I think I'm still zooed out! The animals look really cute though.

     
  10. nevertheless on August 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM

    sounds like you had a fantastic weekend with hubbers :)

    I'm in love with baby tigers, we had a chance to get up close and personal with one when we went to Thailand, it was such a surreal experience holding and feeding the little cub

     
  11. C'est La Vie on August 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

    ok the zoo is like my favorite place on earth, but nobody will go with me!! what is that about?!

     
  12. Jill on August 24, 2010 at 5:13 AM

    What fun!! Enjoy these simple pleasures a they grow up so fast. My weekend was not as fun, art show all day in the heat and lots of R&R on Sunday:)

     
  13. My Life Under the Bus on August 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

    Oh we would LOVE that visit - fantastic picture of the hubbers !!!