I may not have any schooling to head back to, but I still love this time of year.  A sense of anticipation that anything can happen.  A fresh start.  A new page. 


Here's a look at the vintage pieces I'm loving for back-to-school.



"resevered temporarily....SCHOOLGIRL, FRENCH VINTAGE GENUINE TEXIER BROWN LEATHER SATCHEL MESSENGER HANDBAG" by dandeliondaydreamers

This is the epitome of the perfect satchel.  It looks like it can stow quite a lot, and I love the brass closure on the front.  Someone has first dibsies on it, but I love the word "temporarily." ( insert wicked laugh 'muah ha hahaha!' here. )




"instant collection vintage art supplies" by picapicafound

These remind me of my grandfather.  He was a design engineer, and would often bring us pencils, crayons and other fun art supplies.  I have very clear memories of toting a box of colored pencils with me to every family dinner.  (I think by the time I was 7 or 8, this stopped being cute. : P)






"set of 2 antique survey notebooks" by solsticehome

I don't know anything about surveying, but the intensely precise drawings and notes in these books are fascinating.  And yeah, I realize they're kind of useless as "back to school" items....unless you want to study drafting!  ( So there. )






"30 vintage owl bookplates" by mushroomandmoss

How sweet are those little owls?  Bookplates are a wonderful idea for maintaining your library. ( It's amazing how things seem to find new homes, in the college dorms...ha ha. )






"vintage wood molecular model set" by sevenbc

I loved chemistry in high school.  I loved making the little atomic drawings, and how precise everything needed to be.  I may not remember much about isotopes and electrons, but this wooden model set would make a cool graphic statement in your home.



{ what are you craving for back-to-school? }




ps. sorry for the abundance of parentheticals. ( what's up with that? )


10 notes

  1. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on August 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM

    love the old survey notebooks. stuff like that is really cool. I love finding vintage books and seeing the notes written in the margins, or which part people highlighted because they thought it was interesting.

    No back to school for me! But my niece is headed back and already had to spend a crapload on books. I don't remember having to buy books for highschool! What up with THAT?!

     
  2. paislea on August 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM

    i love these pictures! i am so excited for the new school year!! i love getting new fun things for school. hahh. i'm a total nerd! but i love it!

    allisterbee.blogspot.com

     
  3. Oh, My Darling on August 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM

    Owls + libraries = my utopia. Love it!

     
  4. Andrea (Panda) on August 25, 2010 at 11:35 AM

    Back to School is a great time of year. I remember the cold morning walks and not knowing whats gonna happen that year. Loved shopping for supplies and organizing them. plaid socks, greys and burgandy. Then you fall up the stairs and 30 min later fall down that same stair and the new year begins. :)

     
  5. Diana Mieczan on August 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM

    I love those beads...I always look forward to this time of the year when all the kids are going back to school..It has such a great vibe in the air:)I adore smell of new books too...:)))
    Kisses,sweetie

    Ps:Thanks so much for taking part in my GIVEAWAY!

     
  6. yourstrulydear on August 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

    ooh i love all of these things. and those tiny owls are darling! i was thinking about leaving a witty comment with a lot of parentheses in it to be silly but i'm wearing my wig today and i think its squishing my brain..

     
  7. Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird on August 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

    I definitely miss the excitement of back to school!

    Thanks for dropping by my guest post on Oh, My Darling!

     
  8. Stacey on August 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM

    You're making me want to cut my leave from teaching short and head back to work! I love this post and all the items you posted!

     
  9. My Life Under the Bus on August 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM

    Oh my - I love that bag...but more importantly - thanks so much for inventing the word * Toilethenge *.........I spit my ice tea all over the screen and keyboard over that one. Hahahahaha !!! I think you just gained extra awesome points for that one ! Hahahahaha !!!

     
  10. Anonymous on August 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Ooh, that bag is a lovely find :)