Moody clouds and light, persistent drizzle blanket the Seattle area lately.  It's weather like this that makes me want to stay in, drink copious cups of coffee, and read the day away.  Alas, that is not to be today, but in my mind I am hanging out in my favorite room of our home:  our loft library.


 







I recently received a Nook e-reader, but this doesn't mean I love my collection of books any less (it just means we've finally run out of room to store new ones).











 I love perusing the shelves, skimming over titles and lingering on old favorites.  It's also where I house little bits and things I've collected over the years. 














I think a person's library says a lot about themselves...


















...don't you?














{ what's on your 'must read' list today? }



18 notes

  1. Diana Mieczan on August 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM

    Love your collection...I have a few of those books...I really want to read "committed" by Elizabeth Glibert

    Kisses and have a wonderful Monday:) I am sending some sun your way:)

    Hugs:)

     
  2. Unknown on August 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

    ahhh i WISH i had the time to read - the last 2 weeks i've been a chicken runnuing around with no head .. work is getting crazier and crazier (but good b/c more $$, let's face it) .. and now i gotta 'sneak' on here to catch up .. boohoo to LONG hours of overtime :o(

     
  3. paislea on August 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

    i love your collection! i'm not into reading books so much. i'd rather write. :) but i have always loved bookshelves. my parents had an entire wall dedicated to a bookshelf in my childhood home, with tons of books, magazines and old records. it was always fun for my brother and i to go through them and look at all of the fun things we could find.

    i hope you're having a great monday!

    allisterbee

     
  4. Oh, My Darling on August 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM

    Ooh, your little owl clock is adorable! I'm reading "How To Talk to Girls About Duran Duran" right now.

     
  5. ana on August 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

    love your collection. is that a dinosaur tail in one photo with a teeny jäger bottle!?!? i love that!

    sadly, my reading list is chock full of science journal articles at the moment.

     
  6. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on August 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM

    "not a drop to drink" not even in that jäger bottle? :p

    I wish I had more time to read, lately. Been too busy with crafts, crashing computers and pics galore! Winter = more reading time since I'm spending less time outdoors :)

     
  7. kelli g. { bug miscellany } on August 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM

    haha, Ana - yep, it's a dinosaur.

    tsuki - nah, Jaeger is tapped. i think that's from a little train adventure from Nuremburg to Garmische (like 6 hours on the sloow train). the snack cart carries little bottles of Jaeger.

    it was a goood time. :P

     
  8. Stacey on August 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Great collection! "Eat, Love, Pray" is on my list. I would love to read it before the movie opens, but that's probably not going to happen. We'll see...

     
  9. heather on August 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

    awww, I love books so much too! I haven't been surrounded by them like I used to be on account of my weird transient lifestyle... but they are still waiting for me in boxes in my aunt's garage for when I move back to the States. Just have to buy some shelves, because I gave mine away to my best friend before I left. :)
    Right now, I'm juggling some pregnancy books, but I'm really in the mood for a good (not trashy) novel! Something that will floor me with its goodness.

     
  10. Janet Mazorie on August 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

    I had such high hopes for my reading list this summer, but it's gotten away from me. I am still wanting to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the other books in the series), Three Cups of Tea, and Water for Elephants. Have you ever read any of these? Any suggestions?
    Looks like you have quite the collection of travel books!!!

     
  11. k on August 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM

    I LOVE reading...so much - drizzly seattle and books sounds heavenly :) have you been to Bau Haus coffee shop? I just read "One day" by david nicholls and it was really good :)

     
  12. My Life Under the Bus on August 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM

    Oh you are preaching to the choir - love,love,love my books. Crafts books, reading books, picture books. I have been lucky to have caught up on a bunch of reading this summer but there are certain books I could read over and over. Some I just love to look at again and again. I cannot imagine having something as satisfying as a book in my hands...unless it's chocolate !

     
  13. Vintage Shouting on August 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM

    You have such a great collection of books. My bookshelf is also decorated with little trinkets I've collected over the years. I just started reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. My go-to favorites though, would have to be the Harry Potter series and anything by Jane Austen.

     
  14. Cassandra Kiss on August 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM

    Collections of books are always particularly fun to look at
    : )

     
  15. C'est La Vie on August 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

    lovevevevevevelove

     
  16. Tayebug on August 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM

    I am waiting for Eat, Pray, Love to come in from my hold list at the library. That and Water for Elephants.

     
  17. yourstrulydear on August 10, 2010 at 1:33 PM

    i've only been working on my book collection since college, so it's still kind of small. right now i am anxiously awaiting the release of the 3rd hunger games book! do you like that series?

     
  18. cabin + cub on August 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM

    great library! i love books too, and always love looking at other people's libraries! ;)