Hello all! This is The Captain speaking! You may know me as frequent commenter/stalker of this here blog, as well as the poster of all things that make me smile (and occasionally my own photos) at http://thecaptainsphotos.tumblr.com/ .
(follow meee! plzzz!!)



Today is June 1. Almost half the year is up. and summer is right around the corner. It's also Worldwide LAM Awareness Day. What is LAM? Well, to put it simply, it's a Lung Disease that affects (mostly) women in their childbearing years. It has no cure, and one of my favorite people in the entire world was diagnosed with it in 2007 (My beautiful and courageous Aunt Mary Kay).

So please, take some time to read up on it and share the information with someone you know. Knowledge is power!



In honor of Worldwide LAM Awareness Day, this crave and rave is all about feathers. The feather is the symbol of The LAM Foundation. So, give those suffering with LAM a Breath of Hope, and enjoy my very own crave + rave!





Here's a welcome addition to anyone's jewelry stash.







I've been buying bits and pieces of things for a soon-to-be bedroom redecoration frenzy. Two of these and I'll totally be in heaven.




I'm LOVING heathered apparel lately (or always) and this half Shakespeare's quill is enough for me to go loony over





Kelli certainly knows, as I took her on a wallet-hunt while I visited her recently...but I have a thing for wallets. A love affair, if you will. How cute is this one?? Perfect for my iphone too!





Totally digging this rustic frame against the clean color options for this poster.







I have the most adorable Goddaughter (Hi Hannah!) and I think she would be lovely in this for the 4th of July (before tearing it off her head, of course)







Finally, not to get all debbie downer on you, but a lot of LAM patients eventually end up needing a lung transplant. and while I hope it never gets to that point for my dear Aunt Mary Kay, it's a possibility. I can't give her new lungs, but i could give her this sweet (as sweet as lungs can be) necklace:




I hope you enjoyed our time together! don't forget to catch me on the tumblr


And please, read...pass the knowledge on...and always have hope!



-Monica (The Captain)



Thanks, Monica!



8 notes

  1. Lisa Lisa Lisa on June 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM

    What a great guest post! I have never heard of LAM before. All of these feather inspired items are right up my alley!

     
  2. paislea on June 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

    i love that first necklace! it's so cute! i would love to have it so i'll have to check it out!!!

    allister bee blog

     
  3. Andrea (Panda) on June 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

    Great post!! I believe I already follow you...but I'm a bad blogger and don't get on here too much. booo. that needs to change.

     
  4. ana on June 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM

    i had no clue about lam, thanks so much for this post. love all the feather picks too.

     
  5. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on June 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM

    I'd never heard of LAM either, so thanks for passing it on! I love that first necklace. Ive been thinking about getting a couple more big necklaces...so far I love every necklace I've bought from etsy and everyone always comments on them :)

     
  6. Carrie on June 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM

    Well done, Captain! Thanks for educating me about LAM. Hugs to Aunt Mary Kay :)

     
  7. The Captain on June 2, 2011 at 7:10 AM

    so glad you all checked it out! and spread the word!! xoxo - captain

     
  8. Amanda on June 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM

    Great feather finds! So excited to see my zipper pouch here :D