One of the things that I have been most fortunate of in my life, is that I have had a lot of opportunity to travel. Now, with a mortgage to pay, and adult (ick!) responsibilities to handle, I rely more and more on my memories of my adventures. I recently read a post on the joy rebel diaries that posed the question: 'what place speaks to you?' I enjoyed pondering all the different places I've been, but the first to pop into my head was Budapest, Hungary.



As with all things in life, there's always the sour that accompanies the sweet. The reason I decided to visit Budapest was because the hubbers was deployed to Iraq, while I was left alone at our home in Germany. And so I was lucky enough to see this beautiful ancient city, but alas, I had to see it without him.


 

But don't be sad, dear readers -- I had a wonderful time. 








And I saw many amazing things...















...and ate the most exquisite goulash...






...and, oh yes, the wine was pretty good too.

 





 
  A neat little story that's stuck with me -- inside Hungarian parliament, there are these cigar holders lining the windows just outside of the debate floor. Politicians would rest their cigars here, to proceed inside to vote, orate, etc. A particularly intense debate would be remembered by the extinguished cigars at session's end.

I don't think this is the practice any longer, but I love that the holders remain in place.


I loved my time in Hungary, and if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend visiting. It's so different, in many ways, from the rest of Europe, and has over a thousand years of rich history to explore. I know I have better photos somewhere, so one day I may have to do a follow up to truly do it justice.



But for now: 
 

 a gratuitous picture of chickens.


{ élvez! }











7 notes

  1. Shahd on May 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

    what a great post! .. thank you for sharing, the cigar story made me laugh :)

     
  2. Bianca on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

    Hahaha, love the chickens. So, you're jealous I saw Walken, but I'M jealous that you've been all over Europe! Definitely post the rest of the pictures because just this little taste looks amazing.

    Bianca
    http://championofthesun.blogspot.com/

     
  3. cabin + cub on May 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM

    oh great photos. i haven't been to hungary before.. would love to travel there one day! ;)

     
  4. Diana Mieczan on May 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM

    I live in Budapest so it is lovely to see that you enjoyed your visit!
    I live here for the last 8 years and I do love it!
    Great photos :)
    If you ever planning to re-visit Budapest then you have an invitation for a glass of great Hungarian wine :)
    Kisses :)

     
  5. M.M.E. on May 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

    I've always wanted to go to Budapest so I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. Great picture of the chickens by the way. :)

     
  6. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on May 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM

    Great post! I know it sucks being a responsible adult, but at least you got to travel while you were young. I'm doing it all backwards and hope to get to Europe by the time I'm 50! I can't wait to see all the architecture and the places my boypiece lived in Spain and England. :)

     
  7. kelli g. { bug miscellany } on May 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM

    thanks all, for the comments! it was a great trip, and i think i'll be adding {travel tales} as a regular blog feature, as there are many more stories to tell... :)