It's been about six months since the hubbers and I moved into our first home. 

 

We bought a newly constructed home, so we've had to build our yard up from dirt, rocks (oh, so many rocks) and weeds. 


We decided to hydroseed our entire yard about a month ago, and yesterday the grass was finally due for it's first mowing. 




 
Before mowing, I grudgingly realized I would have to do something about the invading army of weeds that were threatening a complete occupation of our back lawn.





About two hours into this process of digging, pulling, cursing, yanking, sweating and having dirt fly into my face, I was only about a quarter of the way done with the back lawn. And I couldn't help myself. I thought: "I've made a huge mistake."  (10 bonus points for quote identification.)



But at the end of a VERY long afternoon, where I gave entirely too much thought to how clever these little weeds are (with their tricky root systems, and attempts to disguise themselves as unusually long strands of grass) I was very pleased with the outcome. Except for the lower back pain.


{ ouchers. }






2 notes

  1. Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox on May 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM

    it looks beeee-autiful! if my toe wasn't so jacked up, I'd get out and do mine. the weeds are turning into trees!

     
  2. kelli g. { bug miscellany } on May 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM

    thanks!
    oh dude, those weeds were SO bad too! way long root systems (i know i didn't get them all), and now my fingers are yucky looking. i need to get some cute garden gloves i think.