Well late, late, late again to the blogosphere today, but better late than never, right?

I've spent the last few hours (yep, hours) working on a new treasury. Here in the States, a holiday called Memorial Day falls this weekend, and I thought I'd do a treasury in its honor. Click the link for a closer look.






Memorial Day is a patriotic holiday, usually marked by BBQs, block parties and three day weekends (!). It's foundation was to honor and memorialize the loss of life suffered by military service members in the line of duty, but seems better known today as the unofficial beginning of summer, and crazy retail sales incentives.
I love all these things that typically accompany this weekend, but it feels wrong these days, not pausing to think, thank and remember. And as silly as it is, making this treasury made me quietly contemplate what Memorial Day really means.  

I am extremely, endlessly, miraculously lucky that at the end of each tour, the hubbers came home safe to me. I hope so very much that someday soon, spouses and families of military service members will no longer have to say these goodbyes, and wonder...

Anyway, I know in the midst of the shopping and BBQing and three-day-off-ing, I will be thinking about those families that weren't as fortunate as I, and remembering those soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines who aren't here today.


{ peace. }




4 notes

  1. Diana Mieczan on May 26, 2010 at 2:42 AM

    Great finds:)
    Sometimes it takes a little longer...but those wings are sooooo cute!
    I want!
    Have a great day darling!

     
  2. Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries on May 26, 2010 at 3:56 AM

    I love the magnetic stars!!! So cool you've been to Chiemsee too! As I wrote in the post we only spent a couple of hours there so I couldnt really explore the area... :)
    Hey! If you want some publicity I'd be more than happy to host a giveaway for you! I admire creative people like you... :D
    xxx

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

     
  3. Unknown on May 26, 2010 at 6:41 AM

    how adorable! - i know memorial day should be a honriable thing - and since all the men (except my brother) in my family have served - i should be more honory of them - but i just think of sun tan lotion, boating, and heading down the shore! - haha

    *mwah*
    Erika
    ~Tiptoe Butterfly~

     
  4. Knotted Nest on May 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

    Nice treasury!

    Isn't it strange, the things that force us to stop and think about the bigger things in life :)

    Thanks for sharing.