It's been a little bit since I posted one of these, AND I just had a super world-travely friend confess she'd NEVER been to Canada. As she's a resident North America, I just cannot fathom this.





Last August, the hubbers and I took a ride on the Clipper, and spent two days in Victoria, B.C.

We stayed at the Empress Hotel, a gorgeous hotel that is a landmark in its own right. We didn't experience the legendary tea service (somehow I just can't imagine my hubbers and delicate bone china both surviving it), but we did peek in.






This is where I, in turn, must confess something: I can be a really bad tourist. When it comes to documenting my trip through photographs, I tend to focus on the weird little moments, and miss out on the bigger picture. It makes for an odd recap, but it's what really defines a trip to me.



Here are some of my favorites from our neighbor to the north.





 The Maritime Museum of British Columbia captured our imaginations. Pirates, scuba suits - even a crow's nest you can climb inside. And all those beautiful knots!












We spent a lot of time just wandering the streets, finding shenanigans to get into. It was a gloriously sunny day, and even though we still haven't adjusted to 65 degrees being considered 'summer weather,' we enjoyed ourselves.




(It was funny, though, to be clearly the most bundled up folks in town. Fleeces and wool jackets were our staples, while everyone else seemed to enjoy sundresses and shorts. Maybe one day this will be us...)












We visited the Royal British Columbia Museum, which was filled with all sorts of amazing artifacts and curiosities. One could easily lose themselves here for hours on end.
My favorite was the outdoor Totem Pole garden.

 






It was a short trip, but a memorable one. My first adventure in British Columbia, but certainly, definitely, posi-lutely not my last!








(i mean, 
i gotta go back to 
get some more to 
die for ice cream!)





{ where are you adventuring this summer? }




6 notes

  1. Unknown on June 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM

    i always wanted to get myself to BC! - loven' all the photo's! ...

    this summer - no "plans" - but that doesn't mean much - i never "plan" b/c i always break them .. haha .. all i know - is FUN is ahead!

    *kiss kiss*
    Erika
    ~Tiptoe Butterfly~

     
  2. Unknown on June 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM

    You for sure have to come up and visit Vancouver. And it's almost always guaranteed sun in the Okanagan (oh yeah and yummy wine!) You can go in search of the Ogopogo...

     
  3. Diana Mieczan on June 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM

    After those photos I want to go there...Such a pretty images, sweetie!
    I am not sure about our summer yet....I am positive that we will travel here and there in Europe during long weekends but I am so booked with work that I dont know if we can find time for a longer vacation:)
    Have a wonderful day darling and I am off to get some ice cream...yummy:)

     
  4. kelli g. { bug miscellany } on June 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM

    Ogopogo?! googling....:P

     
  5. k on June 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM

    these pictures rock!
    i have some travels here and there planned within switzerland elsewhere, we'll see!

     
  6. T@PoppyPlacePdx on June 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM

    They are awesome pics and it looks like you guys had a really fun time :)

    It has been too long since I went to B.C. lived there a long time ago.

    You should have had tea, I don't think it is that formal anymore :)

    Thanks for sharing, now I have to plan a trip :) T.